Replacing ½ cup Arborio rice with a package of Love My Rice® offers several benefits in this low-carb risotto. The texture is lighter; the calorie count is much lower; and yet the basic creamy, comforting quality of a classic risotto remains intact. The chubby Italian short-grain rice is no longer an unusual ingredient, so most supermarkets carry it. And a few more tips: Buy the parmesan in a wedge (instead of already shredded) to grate it fresh while you are prepping. And for extra richness, pass more grated cheese when serving. Don’t forget to grate off the peel before cutting and juicing the lemons. Please note that the risotto cooks covered first and then uncovered.
- 1 7-ounce package Love My Rice®
- ½ tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped shallots (2 to 3 large)
- 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- ½ cup Arborio rice
- ¼ cup extra dry vermouth (preferably Noilly Prat)
- 11/2 cups (about) low-salt chicken broth divided
- 1/4 cup purchased carrot juice
- Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 11/2 cups 1/3-inch cubes peeled carrots
- 4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus wedges for serving
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, plus sprigs for garnish
- Prepare the Love My Rice® according to package directions, except, boil 2 minutes, drain, and spread out on paper towels to dry.
- Coat the bottom of a heavy large (8-inch diameter) saucepan with nonstick spray. Add the butter and melt over medium-low heat. Add shallots, ginger, and lemon peel. Sauté 3 to 4 minutes, or until the shallots begin to soften. Add rice; stir 1 minute to blend. Add vermouth. Increase heat and stir about 1 minute, or until vermouth cooks away and the rice mixture is almost dry. Add 1 cup broth, carrot juice, ¾ teaspoon salt, and 1 cup water. Bring to simmer, stirring often. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Mix in carrot cubes, ¼ cup more broth, and ¼ cup more water. Increase heat and bring to boil. Then reduce heat to low, and simmer gently, uncovered, 8 minutes, or until the carrots and rice are tender, stirring occasionally. Mix in Love My Rice®, cheese, lemon juice, ¼ teaspoon more salt, if desired, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. The risotto should be a bit ‘soupy’. So add more broth and water by tablespoons if necessary to moisten. Mix in chopped mint.
- Ladle into bowls. Garnish with mint sprigs and lemon wedges.